One thing is for sure, these moments can be quite daunting if you don’t have a professional relationship already in place, as you and your client navigate each others space and qualities you’ll both come to understand how each other operates and thinks, some of you may not even have access to your own clients but go thru a secretary or EA, and that’s ok, treat em like your client.
So…how do we develop a professional relationship from the get go? First and foremost:
- Never Lie to your client.
- Never promise something you cannot deliver.
- Never tell them what you think they want to hear as opposed to what they need to hear.
Ok so now it’s time to talk.
- Be yourself! If you have a good sense of humor use it, let em know your not a robot or killing machine for some.
- Be clear and concise with everything that comes out of your mouth.
- Be respectful of their time, in and out. Deliver the facts and keep your personal life to yourself unless they ask.
- Don’t be afraid to stand your ground…respectfully. You’re the SME in security, not them. Give them the 5ws of your counter, make them understand how our world works, remember that they make decisions based off what they know. Get them on your side by presenting the facts. Some are easy, some are not.
- Hold yourself accountable for everything. Never pass the buck.
That’s just for starters!